SAVE THE DATE
As one of the co-chairs of the Global Coalition for Reintegration of Child Soldiers (GCR), the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict is pleased to invite you to the high-level launch of the briefing papers that are the result of the 12-month Road Map process and research. This will be a formal meeting of the Friends of Reintegration group and chaired by France. The event will take place in the UN Secretariat on Monday, 16 March, 10.00-11.30 in Conference Room 12. Please see the agenda below. French translation will be provided.
We are honored that UN Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed will kick off the proceedings with an address on this issue and how it fits into the wider UN agenda, including the SDGs and Decade of Action. These papers demonstrate that there is a significant gap in support to reintegration programming for children emerging from armed groups and forces, and how this activity can be a strategic investment for all actors interested in a sustainable peace in the country.
A formal invitation will be sent in advance of the meeting, but please mark this important event in your calendars.
We look forward to welcoming you on 16 March.
10.00-11.30, CR 12
- Ambassador Nicolas de Rivière, PR of France, Chair
- Amina Mohammed, UN Deputy Secretary-General
- Virginia Gamba, SRSG Children and Armed Conflict, co-chair GCR Steering Committee
- Omar Abdi, Deputy Executive Director UNICEF, co-chair GCR Steering Committee
- Forest Whitaker, Actor/activist/SDG Advocate, CEO of Whitaker Peace and Development Initiative and member of GCR Steering Committee (invited)
- Rob Williams, CEO, War Child UK, member of GCR Expert Advisory Group
- Statements from Member States and the floor
- The Summary – Summary of findings from the three reports – available here
- Gaps and Needs of Children Associated with Armed Forces or Armed Groups’ Successful Reintegration – available here soon
- Reframing Child Reintegration: From the Humanitarian Action to Development, Peacebuilding, Prevention and Beyond – available here soon
- Financing Support for Child Reintegration – available here soon